Colored, varying lines along the screen. What do I need to replace?
See the following link for a picture of the problem.
The computer is Late 2008 15" MBP 2.4Ghz. I replaced the HDD numerous times and upgraded ram to 8GB.
- Lines change color, disappear and reappear in random intervals.
- Lines do not vary by tilting the display
- External display works OK
- Upon inspection, logic board connection of LVDS cable appears fine. No frays or indications of damage. However, I did not verify the LCD connection of the LVDS.
- What are the chances of problem being resolved by an LVDS cable swap ?
- It is my understanding that the problem is with the logic board of the LCD since sometimes the LCD would come back to normal. If LCD itself was damaged this wouldn't be possible. Is it possible to replace ONLY the logic board?
- Basically, should I replace the LVDS, the LCD or the entire display assembly? And if I should replace the LCD how do I determine the backlight type ? (LED/CFL) ?
I know similar questions have been asked, but I couldn't find if anyone had success with LVDS swaps or if replacing the LCD is an option, hence the posting. The display assembly is too ^&&! expensive (~600) and new MBP are around the corner in Q2 2012. Awful timing.
Thank your for your time.