Hello, my name is Anna Sorgie and I am a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Wildlife Conservation and Biology. I am in this major because I am passionate about the environment and conservation, and want to make a positive difference in the world in this area.
I am hoping to gain a wide array of experience in my undergrad in order to better inform myself as to what I am most interested in pursuing as a career. I’d like to work in environmental restoration and management, creating strategies for best conserving, protecting, and restoring land and species. A major goal of mine is to travel across the U.S. and world, visiting National Parks, hiking and backpacking, and learning about other ways of life and cultures (and trying lots of food!).
Computer Data Analysis, R-Studio, Excel, introductory technical writing understanding
RELEVANT ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
- Developed independent research project “Evaluation of Short-Term Tissue-Sampling and Trauma Recovery in Atlantic Horseshoe Crabs” assessing impact of genetic sampling on the crabs
- Presented and created scientific poster at URI Poster Symposium
- Analyzed tag and recapture data from southern stingrays in the Cayman Islands from 2012 to 2019 demonstrating seasonal and sex differences in population, growth rates and recapture rates of the rays and created functional document articulating this information
- As a Resident Assistant: created, marketed, and facilitated community programs to promote social wellbeing, education, engagement and personal growth.
I have jumpstarted my 2007 Subaru Legacy many times.
- Dr. Robert L. Carothers Student Leadership Endowment
GROUPS AND MEMBERSHIPS
member on club penguin circa 2007
In my spare time, I love to hike and rock-climb, or go to the beach! I currently am getting my scuba certification so I hope to add the ocean to another place for me to explore!
PERSONAL RELATION TO THE PROJECT
Working on this project will benefit me professionally as I will gain experience creating concise documents, which is a skill I will utilize as I continue to create professional science documents
I have two dogs, Sanchez and Churro!
The coolest thing I’ve done is hike the volcano Kawah Ijen, Java, Indonesia at 1 in the morning in the pitch dark to get to the summit just before sunrise to witness the blue flames of the youngest sulfuric rock on earth being born as well as the largest highly acidic lake on earth